Thursday, March 17, 2011

Things I don't like

I live in "always" sunny Miami, Fl. 
People imagine sun, beach, heat, sweat, dancing or I don't know what.
I think of A/C indoors, Winter PLEASE!!

Doesn't stop me from appreciating the fact that while some people had below zero temperatures, I was taking my dog to the lake and the kids outside to ride bike, light jacket was all that was needed.

The real point of the ramble is that today I did something I usually avoid, and dislike, a lot. I went to the beach. I'm not a beach person, I can't stand the sun, I hate sand between my toes, salt water and the sticky feeling it leaves on you is not something I enjoy, the whole idea of being outdoors in the "elements" just makes me cringe. Yet, today I went with my son.

I had a great time today, out there watching him. He is old enough now, that he just requieres visual supervision. Two simple rules:

- Stay where I can see you

-Answer when I call.

It works for us, it worked today. He had so much fun, he caught shrimp, fish, crabs, made friends, swam, and ate some fruit. I sat underneath a palm tree, in the shade, with a book on a towel. No sand, not much heat and didn't have to put a toe in the water.

I truly believe that what made the day good to me (because I still had sand in my hair, and got some between my toes walking towards the car) was watching him be so happy, so free so child like. It's times like the ones I had today that go to soon, and don't come often enough.

A small sacrifice on my side, gave him joy, and showed me that things, when you look at them in the right way, aren't as bad as you think.

If your ever in Miami, I recommend you go to Matheson's Hammocks Park, enjoy the peace, and beauty, and watch your kids play and discover. It's almost like being in a movie, too good to be true.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting